Friday, March 27, 2009

If I hear one more person say....

I know alot of people have harsh opinions about fertility meds and treatments, but when you ache to be a mom it's just something you have to do! Well, a lady at work the other day said, "Maybe if you just stoped treatments and meds you could get pregnant on your own.". Uh, hello?! That's like telling someone who has high BP to stop taking their medicine, it only makes things worse! If I stop my metformin, by insulin would be out of control and I'd be worse off than I am now. After almost 21 months of trying, I thinks it pretty obvious we can't get pregnant on our own and the treatments aren't just for fun. I want to slap the next person that says something rude like this to me. That is exactly why I need this blog and have told people we're on a TTC break. Ugh...and the most annoying thing is this usually comes from people who got pregnant extremely easily or accidentally. I could go on and on about the rude things I've heard but I won't, it'll just make me more upset. So, I'm going to go finish up my work and start my weekend at 1pm! YAH!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, dear. I'm sorry, Jess. People can just be so ignorant and rude. If this lady brings this topic up again, maybe you should just say that this is a personal situation and you don't feel comfortable discussing it and could she please kindly keep her comments to herself.

    Another way to cope with rude, nosy people is to follow the advice that Cindy, our administrative assistant, at the library gave me. Here's a possible scenario:

    Rude person: Do you have any kids?
    Woman suffering from IF: No.
    Rude person: Well, when are you going to start trying? You're not getting any younger you know.
    Woman suffering from IF: Why do you want to know? What business is it of yours?

    I've used this approach before and it works. Just asking, "Why do you want to know?" or "What business is it of yours?" can be very effective. I just wanted to let you know about this approach in case you need to use it.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete