Thursday, July 23, 2009

Yah!!!!!!!

Some of you know that I signed up to do some volunteer work at Childserve (an organization that is home to children, mostly with disabilities). They had to do a ton of reference, background checks, etc but today I got a call that they want me to come in for orientation on Wednesday!! They are going to show me around the center, explain what I can do, meet the children, etc. I can volunteer to do a bunch of stuff but mostly I'll be spending time with the newborn/toddlers that live there. I'll be spending time walking, reading and rocking them before bed. I really can't wait and I know I'll want to take them all home too!

I'm also hoping this will also help me to learn if fostering to adopt is right for us. I'll learn alot about the children and their lives. I'm guessing this will make me want to foster/adopt more but we'll see what happens. I'll update after my Wednesday orientation!

Last night Jeff and I also watched 16 and Pregnant, where Caitln and her bf put their baby girl up for adoption. It was the most amazing story I've ever heard. The maturity of those 16 year olds was amazing, and the respect and love the boyfriend had for his daughter and gf were amazing. I don't think any boys in my high school would have acted like him. I bawled through the whole thing, with Jeff holding me. It was touching, heartbreaking and amazing all at the same time. To see the heartache the birth parents went through, but also knowing they made the right choice and the happiness that was brought to the adoptive parents. Wow, everyone needs to watch it. (just got to mtv.com and you can watch it online there!)

3 comments:

  1. I watched that episode of 16 and pregnant oo and made my whole family so they could see the emotions of a birth parent! those kids were amazing and so responsible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great place to volunteer and get some answers about fostering at the same! Good for you!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're really enjoy your volunteer work!

    ReplyDelete