Sunday, August 23, 2009

We're converting to IVF....

Holy cow, so much has changed in just one short week! Cheryl called and Dr. Copper doesn't feel comfortable going ahead with the IUI since we have so many follicles and my estrogen jumped up to 1271, over night. We had the choice to cancel the cycle and redo another one in 2 months or convert, and of course we decided to convert to IVF. There was no way I spent so much time and money to cancel a cycle! Cheryl (our nurse) called Monica, the billing lady at MIF and we discussed the cost of IVF. Of course, our savings will be drained-we'll need to work on building that up over the next 9 months, if we get pregnant, but that wasn't stopping us. Cheryl then talked to use about the procedure and told us to go pick up our drugs from the pharmacy.



We only spent about $300 in meds, which is actually really good. However, the amount of drugs we picked up from the pharmacy was crazy and overwelming. The pharmacist explained everything, but I'm still confused. I remember progesterone shots hurt, BB means black syringe in butt, pink syringe is painful....oh geez! Here's a pic of all the meds......







Tonight I do another injection of Follistim, 37.5mg. Then repronex which is like Follistim, with lots of hormones and another injection to make sure I don't ovulate before the egg retrieval.



Tomorrow we go in for another u/s to confirm the ER (egg retrieval) will be Wednesday. Jeff and I have to do b/w for weird things like Aids, HIV, Hep B, etc. Then we'll talk with the nurse and Dr. C to get all the info about our procedure, meds, etc.

Wednesday is egg retrieval, I'll be put out and basically they will insert a large needle into my cervix and suck (literally) the eggs out of my ovaries. Then between Wed and Monday they will insert Jeff's sperm into my eggs, and wait for the cells to multiple. On Monday they will insert the cells (blastocyst) into my uterus where we'll wait for it to implant and hopefully grow into a baby! If we have any exra blasts left, we'll be able to freeze them and implant them into me at a later date if this IVF doesn't work or if we want another baby.

I'll be out of work all day Wednesday and then on bedrest Monday after the trasnfer and Tuesday...then off to San Diego Friday! Crazy week, huh?! I'll update with more info when we have our next appointment. Again, prayers are the most important factor in this whole procedure so they are always welcome!

Here's a cool and very informational video Jeff and I found on youtube.com about IVF procedure.




And Another...

2 comments:

  1. GL Jess - I really hope IVF#1 is a success for you -I will keep you guys in my T&P!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, I'm praying for a BFP for you!!!

    ReplyDelete